Sunday, July 5, 2015

Life Checklist: Progress?

I came across this article (which I liked much more than most of the "30 things to do by 30" that mostly involve traveling or breaking up with that idiot or having your own credit card.... thanks for tips) that's a mid-twenties checklist for your career and it got me thinking...

What does my checklist look like?

There are many many things I'm sure I'd include, but these are a couple that I think make good measuring sticks (for me):

--Am I happy? Why or why not?

I'm not saying that life should always be rosy or that being happy is the only goal, but figuring out why I feel the way that I feel about my life at the moment is generally a good way to help me figure out if I'm on track.

--Where do I want to be in 1, 5, 10, 30 years? Is what I'm doing now taking me down that path?

While this is common career advice, I also like to apply it to other aspects of my life. What kind of person do I want to be when I "grow up?" Am I doing things to take me there, or am I wasting my life with things that don't actually matter to me in the long run?

--Am I progressing? Do I have goals and am I working towards them?

If I'm enjoying my time, that's great. But when I look back a few months or years, have I made progress since that point? Or am I letting myself get stagnant, forgetting to take steps forward? (This is something that terrifies me. What if I wake up one day, and my life is half over, and I haven't accomplished or experienced any of the things that I wanted to?) It's so easy to just go through the motions of life, and having something to work towards helps keep me moving in the direction that I want.



Those are just a few of mine.... do you have any? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment