Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Reaching a Major Goal

Goals. I love em. They drive me, they direct me, they sit in the back of my mind and tell me what to do when I have down-time.

I am so much more focused when I am working toward something I can check off a list. For example, if I tell myself, "I'm going to get into biking this summer," I don't usually get past drooling over gear. If I sign up for a race or ride, however, then I'm much more motivated to get out and prepare for it.

Well, 2 years ago (almost exactly) I made a goal to read all the talks given at General Conference between 2000 and the present (that list has obviously grown between 2012 and 2014). I don't think I quite realized how much of a commitment that would be, but once I set out to do it, there was no turning back. I've been chipping away at that goal almost daily for 2 whole years. And I've loved it.

Last night, I officially read my last talk on the list. When I realized I was reading it, my heart rate rose, I could hardly focus... I even called my husband in so I could tell him! I almost didn't want to read that last talk!

While it was so awesome to realize that I was accomplishing such a major goal, it also felt strange. Something that had been such a part of my life for 2 whole years was about to be... over. In a great way, but... now what?

Anyway, I read the talk, loved it, feel really great about setting out to do something and actually DOING it... and now I've already got a new goal in mind ;)

Yay for goal-setting!

No comments:

Post a Comment