Friday, June 26, 2015

Rolling with the punches...

When it comes to exercise, I’m a planner. I like to write out programs, planning out weeks or months ahead the systematic progressions I want to make.

This makes it hard when interruptions (inevitably) happen.

Like my car accident.

Like my surgery.

Like little things like invitations to go on trips or make evening plans or being extra-tired on the evening a workout was scheduled.

And once one day/plan/workout is interrupted, it can feel like a domino effect where suddenly the workouts for the rest of the week are thrown off. And if I don’t complete the workouts for the week, then the month is thrown off. And then I might as well cancel my plans/race registration/dreams and hopes.

Extreme, right? Well, yes, of course, and it’s not all that bad, but it can sometimes feel like that.

I’m trying to have a better, healthier attitude. Rolling with the punches is an important way to handle all of life’s ups and downs, and it definitely applies here. In the grand scheme of things, what is one workout? Will I really be ruined if I sleep in one morning? Will my whole training program be thrown off if I miss one run?

No. Of course not.

Keeping that in mind makes it a lot easier to say yes to fun dinner plans, scuba diving at the Crater with my love, and sleeping in on the mornings where I can tell me body really needs it. And I’m a whole lot happier for it :)




No comments:

Post a Comment